Well, here I am! I’m a wife and a mother from Davis County doing what I love.

I’m here to capture you being you, so grab your Favorite Things and let’s get this going! xox Laci

11.16.2009

What to wear for your family photos.

Today on studio 5 I talked about what to wear for your pictures. Hope this helps and thank you to all my darling clients for dressing so well so I could have examples:) You Rock!





I always get asked where I find my kids clothing. Well here is my secret.... My very favorite places to shop for my kids are Zulily, Mini Social, and Guilt. They have designer brands for up to 75% off. You can get some darling stuff for photos!! A couple other great sites with the same concept are Rue La La, and Hautelook. They even have things for us too!

Out are the days of wearing back and kaki, white and jeans, or matching polos. These days photography is taking on more of a candid, editorial style and you can get fun with your clothing! The goal is to have everyone complement each other, but not be too "matchy-matchy." Try to avoid big logos on t-shirts, but don't be afraid of colors or patterns. 

Layer, Layer, Layer
Layers and texture look great in a photo. As with all design principals you apply when decorating your home, texture looks fabulous in photos! J Crew and Crew Cuts are great places to seek inspiration when deciding what to wear. By adding a blazer or fun scarf, not only does it make the picture look more complete, you can drop the layers toward the end of the shoot for a completely different look. The best news is layers are very in right now, so it won't be hard for you to achieve this look!

IMG_7488s5

Have a Wild Card
I always tell my clients to have someone be the stand out "wild card" in the photos. I like picking a fun, crazy pattern like an animal print or hounds tooth cardigan. You can also have that "wildcard" wear the accent color as their main color. It mixes things up and can pull an entire look together.

(the blue dot dress is the wild card here)
In the below photo we wanted to make it BOLD. We knew the location we were going so decided to wear all black with a tiny hint of green. We added a lot of texture and pattern to give interest.


IMG_8307ps
If in Doubt, Ask Your Photographer
It's important to let your photographer be a part of the whole process with you. Let them get excited with you and help plan your vision. When they know what you are wearing and understand the feel you are going for (casual, fun, formal, etc.), it will make the picture come together beautifully. It's important to pick a photographer whose style you like. Each photographer has a different style. When you can match that that style with your own, you will love the outcome.


This is my families most recent photo. I really wanted to make the background speak. I also thought it would be fun to mix formal with casual







31 comments:

Aimee & Brennen Fuller said...

Fabulous work! You've got such a talent.

Shan @ Design Gal said...

i love your photos! you're so talented!!!

Shan @ Design Gal said...

p.s. how did you get the ksl video to post onto your blog? i've tried putting it on mine and it won't work. any tips? ;)

Allyson said...

Wow Lac--how great! I loved all of the advice--SO talented! Love everything about your fantastic style!:)

Creative Edge Photography said...

Can I post this on my FB page? I so luv your suggestions and your work is beautiful!!

Laci said...

Thanks! Yes you can for sure post it :)

Becky @ Our Sweet Peas said...

Such great information. Thanks so much. Your pics are amazing. You also have a beautiful family!

Trisha said...

Love these tips... Great advice. Thanks for sharing!

mmelledge said...

thanks for the tips- you lay it out nicely!!

Martina said...

Laci, this is so great! You did a phenomenal job summing things up! Awesome photos and great outfits. I love your work!

Megan said...

Those are beyond gorgeous photos! And such great fashion advice!

CuriOsa said...

I wish I could watch the video without the song on your blog playing in the background...I can't hear anything.

CuriOsa said...

I wish I could watch the video without the song on the blog playing in the background, I can't make out what's been said...

Laci said...

You just need to push pause on the music.. Just scroll to the bottom of the page :)

Shalee Montgomery said...

Laci I love your picture I have to know where is that green teal colored wall? Thanks!!!

Shalee Montgomery said...

Laci I love your pictures I have to know where is that green teal colored wall? Thanks

Shalee Montgomery said...

Laci I love your pictures I have to know where is that green teal colored wall? Thanks

bless their hearts mom said...

LOVE your family pix- it is SO full of personality, I feel like I can tell something about everyone in it- what a great photo should be!

Em said...

Came here from Pinterest! And saw two familiar faces that are our family friends: Jonathan Tavernari and Kieri! Love that family!

Jacqueline said...

I saw this on Pinterest! I need this so much right now! We have a family of 16 going to Maui and want to take photos there. So many people, I am afraid of having too much going on and we have the spectacular blue of the ocean.

ANY SUGGESTIONS!

Douglas Family said...

we have family pictures on Dec 5th and I have been stressing about what to put everyone in! Thank you so much!

Kari D Warden said...

Those pictures are true art! I wish I had that talent. Keep doing what you love, your good at it.

cbaker said...

Amazing photos! Thanks for the tips. I found your site through Pinterest. Your suggestions and photos have truly inspired me with my family's up coming pictures. I hate the all one color, all black or all white family photos, but didn't know what to do. Thanks again for the inspiration.

Reba said...

Your photos are amazing. Wish you were in my area.

Unknown said...

Awesome blog, I shared this on my Facebook business page, as I always have clients asking me "what should we wear" and I think this gives some great examples!

brittney pecore photography said...

I send all my clients your blog when they ask me what to wear for their photoshoot. =)

Unknown said...

great info and love your photos!! the pops of color are an amazing effect.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

LOVED this post. I found your blog via a mention on Ann Voskamp's website "A Holy Experience" I'm a new photographer and I've got a couple of opportunities this week to take photos. So I'm really excited about that, and I'm like a sponge when it comes to learning everything I can to make my photos really nice :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

Unknown said...

spI just wanted to say, THANK YOU! This blog is very helpful and your making my trip to the mall seem much less stressful with your tips =)

Annie said...

I want to thank you for this blog post. I know it's an old one but it's one I always come back to when my clients are asking for ideas on how to dress for a shoot! I just shared this post with a client and it helps so much!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing such a nice photographs. I like all the pictures which are shared in this blog.

Sussex makeover photo shoot